The Crown of the Continent Choir seeks a Choral Director for its 11th Musical Season (2021-2022) Part-time, Sept-May.
The Crown of the Continent Choir is a nonsectarian, non-auditioned choir established in 2010. We sing to advance social justice, environmental stewardship, inclusivity, build community and share the joys of choral music. The Crown Choir season runs September-May; performances are free and goodwill proceeds are donated to Flathead area nonprofits. Crown singers come from a broad range of ages and choral experiences. The 45-member Crown Choir is complemented by Headwaters, a 12-member auditioned ensemble. Both choirs meet weekly in the Flathead High School choir room.
CHORAL DIRECTOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In collaboration with the Crown Choir’s volunteer board and librarian:
- Establish rehearsal and performance calendar for each Season (September-mid-May)
- Select music for each season (samples from previous seasons provided)
- Lead rehearsals, choral workshops, and performances
Annual budget: $10K-$12K
- Choral Director stipend $500/month
- Piano Accompanist stipend $60/rehearsal
- Performance-related expenses
- Music rental $1500
- Annual Season Finale – O’Shaughnessy Center, Whitefish $750
- Bus transportation to St. Ignatius Mission $750
- Choir member dues $100/year (waived for students and those unable to pay)
- Sponsorship donations from local businesses and individuals: $2500/year
- Season Finale silent auction and donations from the audience: $3500/year
CROWN CHOIR and HEADWATERS ENSEMBLE
The non-auditioned Crown of the Continent Choir averages 45 singers with variable music backgrounds and experience. Most members are 40-70 years old, but we welcome younger and older members!
The auditioned Headwaters Ensemble averages 12 singers who learn and perform more challenging music selections. We anticipate and support fresh ideas from our new Choral Director regarding the makeup and structure of the more versatile and experienced Headwaters Ensemble.
To date, both choirs have rehearsed each Wednesday in the Flathead High School choir room with the Crown of the Continent from 6:30pm – 8:00pm and the Headwaters Ensemble from 8:15pm -9:00pm.
In addition, the Crown Choir participates in one daytime choral workshop per season that includes team-building activities and a potluck lunch. The Headwaters Ensemble typically meets several additional times each season.
PHILOSOPHY AND MISSION
Our website states “We sing for social justice, environmental stewardship and community service” and goes on to say
“We are The Crown of the Continent Choir, community members of varied ages, musical backgrounds, and life experiences who come together with the shared desire to sing for fun! We sing for free at community events and at fundraisers for local charities that share our vision for social justice, environmental stewardship, and inclusivity. A diverse group of faith communities also invite us to sing. Our non-sectarian, not-for-profit choir sings to spread joy and support community growth and we donate proceeds from our free concerts to charitable organizations in and around the Flathead Valley. In our last season we were thrilled to raise and donate more than $2,000 to worthy causes.”
Our performance calendar has typically run from mid-October to mid-May and included:
- International Gift Festival (10,000 Villages) – Mountain View Mennonite Church, Creston
- Winter Holiday Concert at Samaritan House, Kalispell
- Martin Luther King (MLK) Community Celebration, Kalispell
- Ignatius Mission Concert, St. Ignatius
- Earth Day Celebrations, Whitefish
- The Springs (retirement community), Whitefish
- Welcome Spring! Season Finale at the O’Shaughnessy Center, Whitefish
- Performances with Flathead area high school and community choirs
If you are interested in leading our dynamic community choir’s next chapter, we would love to hear from you!
Please contact the Crown of the Continent Choir Board c/o: Randy_Carspecken@Yahoo.com or phone 715/432-1394